Sunday, March 28, 2010

Pfeffernussen


I was really excited to make these cookies because I wanted to know what they were! They are full of ingredients but fun to make and a great cookie for the holidays! At least that is what Jay and I think!

Ingredients:
1 1/4 cups confectioner's sugar
2 1/4 cups all purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1 stick butter
3/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup unsulfured molasses
1 large egg
1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract


Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper. Place the confectioners' sugar in a brown paper bag (I didn't have one so I used a ziploc bag, worked just the same!)

In a bowl, combine flour, pepper, cinnamon, allspice, nutmeg, cloves and baking soda.


Place butter, brown sugar, and molasses in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. Beat on medium speed until fluffy. Beat in egg and vanilla. With mixer on low speed, add flour mixture; beat until just combined. Pinch off tablespoons of dough and roll into balls. Arrange on cookie sheet. (the dough can be frozen for up to 1 month if wrapped tightly with plastic wrap)


Bake until golden and firm to the touch with slight cracking, about 15 minutes, rotating sheets halfway through. Transfer sheets to wire rack to cool slightly, 10 minutes, then place cookies in a bag to coat with the confectioners' sugar.


Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. This is my favorite holiday cookie but I would have never attempted to make it. Looks like one I'm going to add to my holiday cookie list!!

    Love, Aunt Gina

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought these had anise in them...that's why I would never eat them. But, they look good and the ingredients seem really tasty! New (and really, only the second kind) of cookie I can make at Christmas!

    ReplyDelete